Designer Carissa Duncan’s hometown haunts
“It wasn’t until I traveled the world and came back to the Monterey Peninsula that I truly appreciated this place for the natural wonder that it is,” says designer Carissa Duncan. After spells in Napa Valley and San Francisco, she returned in 2014 to her hometown of Carmel to launch her integrated design studio, Salt + Bones (salt-bones.com). Duncan’s moody, earthy aesthetic can be seen at Big Sur’s Esalen Institute and the recently renovated Casa Madrona Hotel & Spa in Sausalito, in addition to private residences across the country. Here, the principal shares her musts in and around Carmel. • The Stationaery is a great new café and creative space owned by power couple Anthony and Alissa Carnazzo. thestationaery.com. • Downtown’s Akaoni for an authentic Japanese sushi experience. Mission Street and Sixth Avenue, Carmel. • Garland Ranch Regional Park is a great hiking spot on the way to Carmel Valley. • Tancredi & Morgen is my favorite family-owned home goods and apparel shop. tancrediandmorgen.com. • Tassajara in the Ventana Wilderness is a Buddhist monastery with natural hot springs and amazing vegetarian food—the ultimate retreat. sfzc.org/tassajara. • I gravitate toward the historic Weston Gallery for its purity and beautiful black-and-white photography. westongallery.com.
A city by the sea, dotted with cottages and cypress trees, inspires a relaxing weekend awash in mossy greens and Camo
1. MARNI platform sandals, $990, Marni, L.A.
2. Hayward Mini Shopper in Venetian silk jacquard, $790, haywardluxury.com.
3. La Ligne x Reformation Never Let Me Go sweater, $228, thereformation.com.
4. Theory Plaid Cardinal trousers, $395, Theory, L.A.
5. Chantecaille Protect the Wolves Eye Shade Trio, $70, chantecaille.com.
6. BRUNELLO CUCINELLI Liquid velvet jacket with monili and belt, $4,495, brunellocucinelli.com.
7. BASSIKE one-shoulder one-piece, $250, Bassike, Venice.
8. CHRISTIAN DIOR Fall/Winter 2018.
9. Frank Family Vineyards Blanc de Blancs, $55, frankfamilyvineyards.com.
10. ETRO leather belt with embroidered jeweled buckle, $700, etro.com.
11. Barneys New York backgammon set, $995, barneys.com.
12. Dries Van Noten Forest leather bag, $1,305, barneys.com.
13. Salvatore Ferragamo Ostrich over-the-knee boots, $5,900, Salvatore Ferragamo, Beverly Hills.
14. IENKI IENKI Poodle printed nylon jacket in classic camo, $1,440, barneys.com.
15. Ralph Lauren Fall/Winter 2018.
16. R13 Fall/Winter 2018.
17. Staub cast-iron round cocotte, $285/4 quarts, williams-sonoma.com.
18. Atelier Sylvie Saint-Andre Perrin platter, $795, johnderian.com.
19. Brabbu Gerard Ocean pillow, $330, 1stdibs.com.
20. BURBERRY The Large Leather Belt bag, $2,590, us.burberry.com.
Edited by ANUSH BENLIYAN and REBECCA RUSSELL.